ENDODONTIC CASE Difficulty ASSESSMENT: Advances in the understanding of endodontic pathosis, aseptic technique, and principles of canal preparation and obturation have led to significantly increased and predictable healing rates for endodontic treatment—95% and higher under ideal conditions (Salehrabi R, Rotstein I. J Endod. 2004 Dec;30(12):846-50). However, the treatment must be delivered in a predictable manner by the treating practitioner to optimize the healing potential.
The AAE has developed practical tools to help every dentist overcome case assessment pitfalls:
- Endodontic Case Difficulty Assessment Article(PDF File, 587KB): this newsletter discusses endodontic treatment planning, case assessment and referral from a specialist’s perspective.
- Reading List(PDF File, 48KB): a comprehensive list of references supporting the topic of case assessment and referral.
- AAE Case Difficulty Assessment Form and Guidelines(PDF File, 411KB): the Assessment Form enables a practitioner to assign levels of difficulty to a particular case by assessing risk factors that may affect the outcome of treatment. The form may also be used to assist with referral decision making and record keeping.
- Educator’s Guide to Using the AAE Endodontic Case Difficulty Assessment Form(PDF File, 44KB): this guide is designed to assist educators in teaching predoctoral dental students objective evaluation and decision-making skills in endodontics.
- Forging Effective Alliances for Quality Patient Care(PDF File, 127KB): this article discusses the value of effective referral relationships.